It's not about the house.

Friday, December 12, 2008

#1: A Cup of Christmas Tea

 
#1: A Cup of Christmas Tea


I believe -- I could be wrong about this, but I think -- my mother gave this ornament to Johnny. You can't tell by looking at it, but it weighs like half a pound. Usually, what I've done every year, is decorate the tree and then let him put his few personal ornaments on it last. Usually, every year, what this means is that this half-pound cup of tea winds up dangling from some totally random branch and taunting me all season (because you can't re-hang your husband's ornaments the way you could your kid's. Because with your kid, there's a chance he might not notice. Husband's ornaments -- unlike (ahem) other things -- they do).

So this year I told him he could hang it first. I phrased it like it was a thing of honor, but really what I wanted was for him to hang it when the tree was empty, so that maybe he'd choose a better place for it (and if not, maybe he'd be less likely to notice if I shifted it a little) and then I could arrange the other couple hundred ornaments around the space he chose.

You know what he said?

"I don't feel like standing up," he said. "I'll hang it in the morning."

I'll hang YOU in the morning, you lazy Irish YOB!"

Needless to say, our tree isn't completely decorated yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll hang YOU in the morning, you lazy Irish YOB!

HAHAHA. That got an out-loud laugh from me, at work even. Hee.

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of a cup and saucer hanging ornament. If they are particularly heavy, perhaps they are really a real cup and saucer? :)

EGE said...

Kate -- Thanks! Glad I made you embarrass yourself at work!

12 -- Oh now come on. Have you ever heard of a mary-jane wearing turtle ornament? But you don't think that's a real mary-jane wearing turtle, do you?

su said...

Twas for Mum