It's not about the house.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Show Me Your Junk

Remember how confused I was about the whole deed thing a while back? (My god, was that just three weeks ago?)

Well, today -- today, after three and a half years of living in this house -- I got a letter from something called National Deed Service, Inc., offering to procure me a copy of my own deed for the low, low price of $59.50!

Oh, you didn't think I was going to link to their actual website, did you?

Now, I don't actually believe they're out there trolling for blog posts from people too stupid to understand what a deed is and where it comes from (ahem) -- I don't really think anyone out there read my post and then went to the trouble to look me up and mailed me this junk specifically -- but I do think it's an odd coincidence. And fortuitous.

I sure am I glad I posted what I did, when I did, and called and asked the questions that I did, and y'all wrote in and filled in the blanks for me. Otherwise I'd be sitting here today, writing a check, and writing a post about how glad I am that my certified deed copy finally arrived.

And then y'all would know I'm just a moron.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

An elderly resident brought one of those into the office the other day. She was all worked up about it, thinking it was something she needed to do right away - or else. Fortunately, I had seen a news report on it and recognized the company name. Of course, I also knew that she didn't really need one. It's just awful the way they try to scam people out of their hard earned money.

Leslie said...

I was formulating a response about "no good deed goes..." when I clicked on your last link and it made me spill my strawberry limeade all over my desk (though thankfully not directly ON my laptop) and so I lost the creative moment. The pic gave me a good laugh, though.

Anonymous said...

No you would not have done that!

EGE said...

She don't know me very well, do she?