It's not about the house.

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Oh My God, I'm Heartily Sorry...

I have a crush. On a song.

I don't know if it's possible to have a crush on a song, all I know is that I have one. When it comes on the radio, I get all shy and smiley, and I start playing with my hair in that "please notice me" kind of way.

It's embarrassing. It's wrong. It's like, if I'm Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club, this song is Emilio Estevez. Wrong, on so many levels. Just ... plain ... wrong.

And yet -- for some reason I can't explain -- the feeling's out there.

I flip stations looking for it on the radio when I'm in the car, and if I find it I turn it up real loud and pretend like I'm playing something good. Pretend I'm not a little bit embarrassed to be playing this song, of all songs. I don't even try to sing, because I don't know any of the lyrics no matter how many times I listen to it (except one five-word phrase that makes no sense, and of which I had one word wrong until two days ago), so I just twirl my hair and try my darnedest to look beautiful.

I think it's working. I think it might be starting to like me, too. Because I just heard it three times in a row on three different stations. Rode me from the Mass Pike interchange all the way to the Southern Artery. Up just as loud on the third play as on the first. With the windows open along the beach in the misting rain.

And then, when the cheeseball orchestral finale died for the final time, I cranked me some Joan Jett. "I Love Rock 'n' Roll," to be precise. Just to remind my inner Basket Case that really she loves the Criminal, and she ought to leave the Princess with the Jock the way nature intended.

Rock on, Princess.


No, seriously, you can have him. Because, honestly, when I'm really living my life, he leaves me cold.

12 comments:

Sparkle Plenty said...

Viva la Vida? Here's what I think: It could be worse.

"Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve similarly haunted me for a time...

The orchestral appeal sneaks up on one from time to time...

Jean Martha said...

is it the Sugarland song? It's on evey 4.68 minutes.

amanda said...

Do we know what song you're talking about or do I have a case of the stupids today?

Daisy said...

It's gotta be the new Coldplay song (with a pic of Chris' wife in the post) and it is good, can't tell you the name though.

jen said...

If its not Coldplay, I'm going to be very dissatisfied. And if it IS Coldplay, it really doesnt matter what the hell song it is. You should dress up and look pretty for any song of his. all the time. And, you should cry.

su said...

Glad it's not just me, I thought there wassome subliminal message to the cool folks that I missed..

EGE said...

Sparkle -- Durn you! Now I have that song stuck in my head and I can't remember how my one goes! (But also, the Verve's "The Drugs Don't Work" is, in my opinion, a truly great song. I don't know if it ever came out as a single here, but seriously, youtube it. It's great.)

ILU -- Nope! In fact, I can't say I've ever heard that one. I'm sure now I will, every 4.68 minutes.

Amanda -- Case of the stupids, I like it! But if you didn't guess the title, maybe they're just not playing the song as much on your side of the planet.

Donna -- I'm not saying nuthin'.

Jen -- Oh, oh. Cry? Really?

Su -- I guess this particular song has yet to walk into your gin joint. If it does, will you ask it if it likes me?

su said...

Sure would if I actually knew the title.Was that a dig?

Sparkle Plenty said...

THANKS! Ege! I'm youtubin' that song STAT!

Daisy said...

They are coming to Boston on 10/29

su said...

Well I googled them and they dedicate a new song Death will never Conquer, but I can't imagine you would get girly over that

Athena said...

I am ashamed to love that song, too. Its just so...so...I think you know what I mean.