It's not about the house.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Won't You Be Mine? Please? Oh, Please?

Hey guys, guess what? I've got good news from Townville for a change!

I've put a video below that I'll discuss in a minute, but I know not all of you can watch videos at work, and I know some of you who can just never do, so I'll nutshell it for you:

Right here in Townville (a.k.a Weymouth, Mass.), not 2000 feet from the AssVac's very door, a person did a nice thing for a neighbor!

The End!

No, wait, there's more!

He did a nice thing for a dog!

Oh holy crap I think I might pass out!

Okay, what happened is, the house caught fire, and the people weren't home, so the next-door neighbor guy -- the 63-year-old next-door neighbor guy, incidentally -- threw a ladder up against the house, smashed the screen in, stuck his head and arms in through the window, and hauled out the dog. And not the small dog, either. The German shepherd, thank you very much.

I feel as though I've entered into a whole other dimension...

Now, this video doesn't really say any more detail about the story than I've already said, but if you've ever sat at home wondering "Gee, I wonder what it's really like where EGE lives" -- if you are at all curious about Townville as an actual living place and not just the parade of freak shows that I always feature here -- you might go ahead and play a couple seconds. Because that man, that voice, is this town.

I never really thought about it until I heard it on this screen, but the Townville twang is distinct from standard Masshole-ish. I'm no good at writing dialect, so I won't even try, but it's in the vowels and the syllabic emphasis and everything, right down to the gulpy manner in which certain consonants are dropped -- and not only the rs. That accent is Townville's own, and for the rest of my life I will recognize it just as surely as I do Worcesterian and Springfieldese.



Now if I could just learn to adopt it, do you think maybe I could get them to be nice to me?

10 comments:

su said...

Hey their house looks like your house.

EGE said...

I know, a lot of houses around here look exactly the same. I think they're made of ticky-tacky...

pork luck said...

awwww!!!! i love that man!!!!

Daisy said...

for the sake of a few doors down, your AssVac troubles couldv'e been over! So glad that Isabelle was rescued! Maybe you should let neighbor know about brother and sister y'know, just in case!

amanda said...

Geography is not my strong suit. I was going to comment "gee, sounds like a Boston accent to me". Then I decided to google where 'Townville' is, and it is kinda close. So I gave myself a gold star. Even though you probably think the Boston accent is totally different. I consoled myself with the thought that you probably think all Aussies sound alike too. Which they don't.

EGE said...

Yay! Amanda gets a gold star! Even though she sounds just like every other Aussie -- and Kiwi, while we're at it! Ha ha!

Oh, now, you know I'm kidding. Right?

Jean Martha said...

awwwwwww!!!

amanda said...

I was going to say you probably think Aussies and Kiwis sound alike but didn't know if you'd get it. Which, by the way, we don't sound alike at all. Just ask a Kiwi to say the number 6 and you'll understand why.

HPH said...

I just luv that man. Even tho he taulks fawny.

EGE said...

HPH! I got all excited to go to you blog and find out who you were, but there is no there there! Put some there there! Enquiring minds want to know!