It's not about the house.

Friday, December 21, 2007

Okay, FIRST Of All...

Thanks for all of your good wishes on my dental visit (and let's pass them all along to Tara, too). As it turned out, 'tweren't nuthin. I waited forever, but when I finally got in she poked at it and said "You're fine. Go home. No charge."

Then I ran around for a lot of hours doing a lot of things, and now I come home to find there is a LOT of confusion that needs a lot of clearing up. So here goes:

1. I Love Upstate -- I just so happen to have heard Bing Crosby and David Bowie in the car on the way home about ten minutes ago, so I'm happy to report that it is every bit as twee as I remember. It reminds me of that scene from The Breakfast Club where Judd Nelson acts out Anthony Michael Hall's imagined-idyllic family life. "Bing, isn't our song swell?" "Yes, Bow'. Isn't peace swell?" Smooch. Smooch. POW!

2. Sparkle -- Hey, I thought you were on the long road to Poochville! Somehow I seem to have missed out on the Waitresses song entirely. Guess I'm not as cool as I thought. But if I never heard of it, it can't be on the list. So there.

3. Courtney -- I'm at the dentist and you're talking to me about Shane McGowan? For shame! Besides, if I wanted to include a slit-my-wrists song then the hands-down choice would have to be Joni Mitchell's "River." But I didn't want to go depressing anyone. Ahem.

4. Courtney again -- "Christians and Pagans" is not a bad song, but there is this melange of girl-guitarist-songwriters from the mid-nineties that I just will never be able to keep straight. Dar Williams happens to be one of them. And one of the rules here is: if the performer could be easily swapped out for someone else, then the song doesn't make the cut. So, nope. Sorry. Wrong.

4. Poppo -- your suggestion (for those of you who did not follow the link, it was Yogi Yorgessen's "I Yust Go Nuts At Christmas"), although probably now considered politically incorrect on about a hundred different levels, came closest to being Not-Wrong. And a lot of that was probably exactly because it would now be considered politically correct on about a hundred different levels. But, in the end, it's really more of a novelty-kitcsh thing, isn't it? Whereas the Partridge Family, well, that shit's just timeless.

5. Robert -- Oh sure, ha-ha, Patsy and Elmo are hy-freakin'-sterical. Maybe you should find out how both my Grandmas died before you go throwing jokes like that out into the ether. Huh? It's not so funny when it happens to someone you know, is it, and even less funny the second time around. Still laughing now? Yeah, I didn't think so.

WRONG!


Go on, try me some more. I dare ya!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I am technically challenged and I just can't make a link work but you have to put a link on the blog to my "Best Christmas Song Ever" Cuz everybody should hear it!!!! C'mon put it in this blog...

Anonymous said...

And besides, the Partridge Family belongs in a pear tree this time of year!!!!

Courtney Miller-Callihan said...

I want to say snarky things to you right now but I am laughing too hard about the Breakfast Club reference. You are lovely and also beyond weird.

EGE said...

Poppo-- I can't make the link work! Send it to me by email and I'll try again.

EGE said...

PS Weird? WEIRD? Why, I oughta...

Dar Williams. Pleah.

Courtney Miller-Callihan said...

Whatever, Massachusetts. xoxo

jen said...

Um. No. Ella Fitzgerald. Really. You are probably getting coal and its probably going to BE from Ella.
BUT, the Breakfast Club thing did bring back good memories.
Ahhhh High School.

Stephanie said...

Instead of Best Ever, can we maybe go with My Own Favorite? I've always loved "The Little Drummer Boy", and I'm going to go with the Johnny Cash version, even though I didn't ever hear it until I was a grown-up.

Of yours, I'll go with Otis Redding though, even though it reminds me of another song about listening to Otis Redding at Christmas which makes me very sad.

Anonymous said...

Yay, it is a Good Mouth Karma Day for all of us! They removed the stitches that were supposed to dissolve (boy I'm glad I kept the appt.) and sent me home without asking more more dough!

EGE said...

Yay, Tara!

Steph, what is the song about listening to Otis Redding?

Unknown said...

Really? Both grandmothers? I had no idea. I'm so sorry. In my defense, it IS one of my Xmas favorites. Right up there with Dennis Day's Xmas in Killarney.

This is probably gauche, but I have to ask: Did you open up their gifts or send them back?

su said...

Merry Christmas to all
And to all
and to all
and to all
and to all

See my record skipped at that point as a kid so I don't know the ending!

EGE said...

Robert -- I opened them. Miss Manners would have approved, I'm sure.

Mom -- Our Partridge family skipped at the end of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" so that Shirley Jones just kept singing "Mery Christmas... Merry Christmas... Merry Christmas.." until you gave it a shove and she'd say "Toooo youooo"