It's not about the house.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I Forgot!

I did something yesterday!

Remember this door?



I took it off its hinges and carried it to the back hall for stripping. That's as far as I got. Oh, well, actually I took the hinges off, too. And here's how grossly humid it still is here: I could scrape the painted-in screws clean with nothing but my girly screwdriver. I planned to hit the hinges with a bit of 5F5, but I had real work I was trying to get done and I decided that was more important.

(Didn't get that exactly finished, either. But I tried and, well, horseshoes and handgrenades, I guess... )

Anyway, that doot was heavy ("doot" = typo I like so I'm keeping. As in "Doot, that doot was heavy"). Johnny said it would be, but I didn't believe him. He said there was no way I'd be able to carry it by myself, so of course I had to. I damn near put gouges in the archway and the floor, until I devised a way to carry the doot by one knob and one window, and bearing a large part of the weight on the large part of my right hip.

And then of course when I got it to the back hallway it was facing the wrong way, and this doot -- being an outside doot -- is wider than the closet doot I had been working on, so there wasn't room to turn it around, so I had to carry it back out and start again, this time on my left hip.

Very good for a wonky back, this, what?

Oh, and speaking of that other doot? I am not fretting over this one. I'm painting it. It's already been decided. But, since I half-stripped it already I've got to go whole hog, because we've already seen how good I am with patching...

Yesterday: Accomplished (I've decided to quit counting days because I only managed to rack up like ten of them in the whole month of July, and that's just shameful).
Time: 45 minutes (I know you won't believe me, but those are the heaviest freaking screws I've ever seen, and they were painted in there...)
Cost: Nothing
Getting To Play With 5F5 Today Instead Of Heat Guns Because I Finally Finished (Well, Sort Of) The Work I Was Doing Yesterday: Priceless. Oh, you don't know the half...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cook that hardware in a crock pot...it really DOES work great! And it's fun too...the paint peels off like skin when you've gotten a bad sunburn. (Can you tell I've killed too many brain cells by playing with the chemical strippers?)

Love your blog!

EGE said...

Really? In what, just water? Or dry? On high or low? And for how long? Can you still use the pot for food after? Help! I want to try and I'm too lazy to google!

Thanks for loving the blog...

EGE said...

PS I googled it. Tune in later...

Anonymous said...

I have a rule (that has been put into place far too often) around "once a kitchen tool has been used for home improvement, it doesn't go back into the kitchen"... Once you see what's in the crock pot, you probably won't want to use it for food ever again. Happily, I got a ratty old crack pot through freecycle to use.

Some people say cook the stuff overnight in water. I found a few hours (3?) on high was enough for me.

EGE said...

Whoops. The page I found on google said the crock pot would be fine and I already threw them in. If I ruin the crock pot, Johnny's gonna KILL me... La la la ...

Anonymous said...

I love that doot!
Your blog is great...I needed to be entertained this morning. Thanks